Friday, February 19, 2021

Rhetorical question: brand loyalty and planned obsolescence?


Fifteen years ago I spent a lot of time on airplanes. Mainly in Coach Class. I did everything I could to block out surrounding adverse conditions. I used inflatable neck pillows, melaotonin capsules, industrial grade earplugs, sleep masks, Emergen-C effervescent vitamin supplements, and finally purchased a SONY noise-cancelling headset so I could at least hear the inflight movies in comfort. At the time (ca. 2005) the $60 price seemed a real extravagance. Yet of all those accessories, it's lasted the longest - finally in the past month my silencing friend required the tape repair solution pictured here. Should brand loyalty prevail? Current price for replacement SONY Bluetooth earbuds, from $90-$200. One of my kids says go for the Apple brand, which range from $150-$300. Every Apple product I ever got has crashed and burned in 2-3 years. So help me, Obi-Wan Ken-earbud, you're my only hope. Does my love affair with SONY go forward after fifteen years?ANSWER: Brand loyalty wins out.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.